ToxStrategies, Inc., is seeking a data scientist/bioinformatics scientist with experience analyzing and integrating chemical and biological data for purposes of predicting human exposures and assessing safety of chemicals. The position involves using mathematical modeling, machine learning, statistics, and data mining to characterize and better understand human exposures and associated health risks. The successful candidate should be proficient in programming languages (e.g., R, Python, Java, JavaScipt), as well as have a working knowledge of relational databases (e.g., MySQL, Postgres). In addition, the candidate should have a working knowledge of statistical approaches for evaluation of data, including the application of Bayesian methods and machine learning. Mastery of data presentation and visualization is essential. Familiarity with complex exposure models (e.g., SHEDs-HT, ExpoCast, SEEM3, etc.), high-throughput toxicity screening assays and data platforms, high-throughput toxicokinetics, “httk” R package, reverse TK, IVIVE, pharmacokinetic modeling, and CDC NHANEs data is considered a plus.
This position offers a dynamic and challenging work environment, opportunities for professional development and leadership, and competitive compensation and benefits. On a daily basis, responsibilities will involve designing and conducting scientific projects that may include generation, critical review, analysis, and/or synthesis of scientific data. A significant component of the position will involve technical writing in the form of proposals, protocols, reports, and scientific manuscripts, as well as verbal communication via presentations and teleconferences. The position involves regular collaboration on multidisciplinary teams that may include toxicologists, epidemiologists, industrial hygienists, engineers, and biostatisticians, many of whom are recognized as leaders in their respective fields. Active participation in the scientific community such as presenting at professional meetings (e.g., AIHCE, ISES, SOT, SRA), serving on committees, and publishing scientific manuscripts is strongly encouraged.
ToxStrategies is a multidisciplinary scientific consulting firm that develops innovative solutions to address the scientific, technical, and regulatory challenges confronting our clients. Scientists in our Exposure Assessment Practice provide consulting services to public and private-sector clients around the world. Our work involves providing clients with scientific, strategic, and regulatory expertise in the assessment of chemicals in the environment, food and food ingredients, and consumer products.
- M.S or Ph.D. in biomedical engineering, environmental health engineering, physics, data science, applied statistics, or similar field.
- Minimum of 2-4+ years’ experience with relevant data analysis (may include post-doctoral training)
- Experience with Bayesian statistics and inference (e.g., Marko Chain monte carlo, Bayesian hierarchial models, software tools such as Stan JAGS, GNU, MCSim)
- Experience with one or more machine learning algorithms (e.g., Random Forest, clarification and regression trees, artificial neural networks, support vector machines, etc.)
- Experience coding for data science & statistics using R or Python
- Experience with data wrangling (i.e., importing/reading/parsing data in various formats [e.g., tables in scanned and non-OCRed PDF images, SAS XPORT files, Microsoft Access tables, Excel spreadsheets] cleaning inconsistent formatting, harmonizing identifiers, re-shaping data, tidying data, dealing with missing data, censored data, limits of detection, etc.)
- Experience with advanced statistical methods (e.g., mixed effects modeling, meta-analysis and meta regression, generalized linear modeling, Tobit regression, survival analyses, power analyses, etc.)
- Experience with data visualization, including principles of visual communication (e.g., Edward Tufte, Hadley Wickman, ggplot2)
- Familiarity with ToxCast/Tox21 and CDC NHANES data is preferred
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage multiple assignments with attention to detail and effective time management skills.
- Experience leading project tasks or teams.
- Demonstrated ability to learn new skills/techniques/approaches as needed to tackle a new research problem
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to explain complex ideas in clear teams for different audiences
- Ability to work independently or in multidisciplinary teams.
- Ability to travel (may be required approximately 5%–10% of the time).
- Salary commensurate with experience
ToxStrategies is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Certified Woman-Owned Small Business.