Doepker C, Movva N, Cohen SS, Wikoff DS. 2022. Benefit-risk of coffee consumption and all-cause mortality: A systematic review and disability adjusted life year analysis. Food Chem Toxicol 170:113472, doi: 10.1016/j.fct.2022.113472.
- A quantitative analysis of the risk-benefit for coffee consumption and all-cause mortality was conducted.
- DALYs calculated consistently demonstrated findings in the direction of benefit with variable magnitude.
- ∼35% of estimated years of healthy life lost could be prevented by consuming one cup of coffee per day.
- Up to 4.7% of estimated years of healthy life lost could be prevented at current consumption rates.
- Policy that directs consumers to avoid drinking coffee may be a detriment to public health.